GDPR CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE
1. The purpose of this document:
Joseph Limited is a "data controller". This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. You are reviewing this notice because you are applying for work with us (whether as an employee, worker, contractor or in any other capacity, for example Work Placement). This notice makes you aware of how and why your personal data is used, namely for the purposes of the recruitment exercise, and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
2. Data protection principles:
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
3. The information we hold about you:
In connection with your application for work with us, we will collect, store, and use the
following categories of personal information about you:
- The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae, covering letter and portfolio.
- The information you have provided on your application form, including name, title, address, telephone number, personal email address, date of birth, gender, employment history, qualifications, right to work in the UK and salary expectations.
- Any information that you provide to us during an interview.
- Interview test results (where applicable).
- Interview feedback (where applicable).
4. How your personal information collected:
We collect personal information about candidates from the following sources:
- You, the candidate.
- Recruitment agencies, from which we collect the following categories of data: CV, portfolio, covering letter, summary of work experience, salary (current or desired), right to work evidence and/or any other detail the agency believes is important during the recruitment process.
- In some very limited cases we may carry out background checks or checks with a credit reference agency, in which case we would inform you of this before we carried out any checks, and we would let you know the categories of data we would collect.
- Your named referees, from whom we collect the following categories of data: job history, including specific employment dates and reporting lines.
- We may also review your LinkedIn profile and/or any other social media profile that is accessible online.
5. How we will use information about you:
We will use the personal information we collect about you to:
- Assess your skills, qualifications, and suitability for the role.
- Carry out background and reference checks, where applicable.
- Communicate with you about the recruitment process.
- Keep records related to our hiring processes.
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
It is in our legitimate interests to decide whether to appoint you to the role since it would be beneficial to our business to appoint someone to that role.
We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to enter into a contract of employment with you.
Having received your CV and covering letter/your application form and your salary expectations where applicable the results from the test you took at interview, we will then process that information to decide whether you meet the basic requirements to be shortlisted for the role. If we decide to call you for an interview, we will use the information you provide to us at the interview to decide whether to offer you the role. If we decide to offer you the role, we will then take up references and in very limited circumstances, carry out credit/criminal records checks before confirming your appointment.
6. If you fail to provide personal information:
If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to consider your application (such as evidence of qualifications or work history), we will not be able to process your application successfully. For example, if we require a credit check or references for this role and you fail to provide us with relevant details, we will not be able to take your application further.
7. How we use particularly sensitive personal information:
We will use your particularly sensitive personal information in the following ways:
- We will use information about your disability status to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process, for example whether adjustments need to be made.
- If you supply us with information about your race or national or ethnic origin, religious, philosophical or moral beliefs, or your sexual life or sexual orientation, we may use this information to ensure meaningful equal opportunity monitoring and reporting.
8. Information about criminal convictions:
We do not envisage that we will process information about criminal convictions unless we require you to declare them in which case this information will be held securely on file.
9. Automated decision-making:
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
10. Data sharing:
We will only share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes of processing your application: HRIS system, recruitment agency and or entity in the group. All our third-party service providers and other entities in the group are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
11. Data security:
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal
information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way,
altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those
employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-toknow. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are
subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
12. Data retention:
We will retain your personal information for a period of 12 months after we have communicated to you our decision about whether to appoint you to role. We retain your personal information for that period so that we can show, in the event of a legal claim, that we have not discriminated against candidates on prohibited grounds and that we have conducted the recruitment exercise in a fair and transparent way. In addition, should we need to recruit for the role again within this timeframe we may revisit your profile. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal information in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
13. Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction:
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact the Data Protection Manager, Warren Hampton, Head of IT and HR@joseph.co.uk in writing.
13.1 Right to withdraw consent:
When you applied for this role, you provided consent to us processing your personal information for the purposes of the recruitment exercise. You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact the Data Protection Manager, Warren Hampton, Head of IT and HR@joseph.co.uk. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your application and, subject to our retention policy, we will dispose of your personal data securely.
13.2 Data protection officer:
We have appointed a data privacy manager to oversee compliance with this privacy notice. If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact the data privacy manager at firstname.lastname@example.org and HR@joseph.co.uk. You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.
By providing your application you agree to JOSEPH Limited retaining your application and any other documentation as submitted by you in accordance with your application until such time that our recruitment and on boarding process is complete.